Saturday, September 24, 2011

salvation soul

When people think of Miami, they think of partying, clubs, nice beaches , night life, and sex. Miami has opened my eyes up to many things I never would have encountered if I stayed in the North East and for that I am grateful. There are plenty of secret, hidden treasures in this city that the normal tourist would never know or probably even care about. While most people see the steroid, tattooed Guidos at the pool parties or the plastic women walking around everywhere, I see the homeless man who takes the bus 15 minutes down the road just so he can feed the stray cats in an alley. Some people see all the great Happy Hours and expensive cocktails, I see Athens Juice Bar, a small hole in the wall juice bar that has been in business for over 20 years and is run by some of the coolest people I have ever met in my life.  Most tourists go shopping on Collins or Ocean Ave to stores like Armani Exchange, Steve Madden, Michael Kors, I go to Under the Mango Tree on 6th Street. 6th Street, a little sanctuary in it self with an Organic Spa, Yoga Center and Organic vitamin and food shop. Under the Mango Tree is another small little smoothie shop with precious gems from Central and South American countries run by the most down to Earth woman, who has a smile that can light up the darkest room. Lastly, there is Bill Baggs National State Park. In this trash invested, smelly, dog poop filled city, Bill Baggs is at the very tip of Key Biscayne and reminds us why nature is so beautiful. It is a place to visit when you need a breath of fresh air (Literally, the air I think has to be cleaner there). This park is filled with signs to not litter and leave nothing and take nothing. With beautiful plants, trees and mangroves everywhere, you can get lost in its beauty and forget you are in Miami. This is my little slice of heaven in an ever so hectic city. 

No comments:

Post a Comment