Wednesday, November 9, 2011

tree of souls

“I was a warrior who dreamed he could bring peace. Sooner or later though, you always have to wake up.”-Jake Sully, Avatar
This morning I planned on going to an early, much needed Mysore class, but instead I found myself watching 2hours of Avatar. I know the movie is an all time favorite with most people around the world, but I feel as though I see too much of the symbolism in it. I see how much their world really relates to what is happening with the environment now in our real life. We have land that was once loved by tribes and worshiped, and has been completely destroyed by settlers who are now our government. The environment and nature has never mattered to them, it has always been about growing bigger and better. Unlike the tribes, most people do not view nature and the universe as something present, real and bigger than us. Thousands of years ago people lived off of it, and now we don't have enough to even recognize. More and more decimates everyday and the only pieces we have left to hold on to will probably be gone soon enough. 
The tree of souls in Avatar was the ultimate universe. It was the only thing left that could save them. It was all of nature put together in one. It was their last resort of where to turn when things went wrong. When I visit fairchild tropical garden and see this tree above, it reminds me of the same feeling. The same idea that this may be one of the last pieces of nature to hold onto. 

No comments:

Post a Comment